As I was saying before everything was lined up perfectly. The cover was done. The book was typeset. All I had to was upload the book so I could print and do E-book pre-orders. Once I did that something weird happened with my ISBN number. (I changed the title of my book. I didn’t think this would be a problem.)
I was wrong.
I called Amazon and the polite woman told me what my options were.
Basically I had to purchase another ISBN and start over.
I didn’t want to purchase another ISBN number when I had one I wasn’t technically using. After banging my head against the wall a couple more times I decided to just purchase another one. Even though that meant I had to alter the interior and cover again.
Some months later I had a book signing at Hockessin Bookshelf in Hockessin, Delaware. (I previously put out a book under the name MQW)
In the midst of doing the book signing I spoke with the store manager, Rebecca. We got to talking about the book industry and everything in between.
Then we got to talking about what other books I planned to put out in the future. I told her about the thriller series I was working on and the YA novel that I had completed.
When I explained the synopsis of the YA novel to her she said more stories like those needed to be told and I agreed.
I gave it some thought and when I went home that night I told my brother and my wife. They told me they supported whatever decision I went with.
I was torn.
I was so close to being able to release this project and I had already waited a long time.
On the flipside what if somebody wanted to offer me a publishing contract?
Now I had been through the process of finding an agent before and I felt totally different because I put the work in necessary to get to the next level.
I took her advice and entered a couple of writing contests also.
Now all I had to do was wait until I got the results I wanted and I would be able to complete my query letter. In the meantime I put together a list of five to ten agents I wanted to submit to.
Then I made up a ridiculous timetable. I wanted to find an agent by May 2016 or I was putting the book out myself.
A few months later I got a form rejection email from the writing contest people. I thought I nailed the submissions, but they didn’t seem to think so.
I took it in stride and kept on moving.
I had one more person I wanted to contact and I was nervous as hell about sending this email.
I sent Joylynn M. Ross an email and hoped like hell she responded…
Road to Publication Part 3